Sunday, November 29, 2009

On the Hail Mary...

I guess you can't reasonably expect a USC blog to opine unbiasedly on one of the most hostile endings to a USC-UCLA game, ever.

But seriously though. Consider the facts. 52 seconds left. USC leads by 2 touchdowns. Ball on UCLA's 48. Pete Carroll calls for the knee.

Rick Neuheisel calls timeout. At this point in the game, it's almost impossible for UCLA to come back. If USC kneels twice more and punts, UCLA gets the ball back at its 20 or worse with no timeouts and 40 or so seconds to go.

It's pretty clear the move was more defiant than strategic. But at what cost? For your convenience, I have written a play that happens to explore similar themes:

Scene 1: I offer you a Nutter Butter.
Scene 2: You step on said Nutter Butter.
Scene 3: I punch you in the face.
Fin.

Tragic, is it not?

NO, it is not. Because YOU stepped on my Nutter Butter!

Dumbass.

4 comments: